The printers are one of the products most affected by planned obsolescence. Many companies prefer to sell new printers rather than allow the use of pirate cartridges or compatible cartridges, which cost several times less than the originals and offer the same benefits. Now, the OCU has warned that HP has gone too far, and will demand compensation for users.
HP, like other manufacturers, does not state that its printers are not compatible with third-party cartridges. So suddenly blocking this option is against consumer protection laws.
HP released firmware that enabled printers
The company launched a few years ago Firmware update for various printer models where the device threw a printer error when a non-genuine cartridge was inserted. This was the case even with those that were working perfectly up to firmware installation.
Therefore, for the OCU, this HP practice is promoting the obsolescence of its printers, and is misleading, harmful, burdensome, anticompetitive, and also unsustainable, since users may be forced to change printer and generating more waste from a product that also requires a very complex process to be able to recycle it.
HP, convicted of blocking third-party cartridges
HP has already been convicted in two different countries for this case. In Italy, HP was fined 10 million euros for violating the Directive on unfair practices in the European Union. In the United States, HP suffered a class action lawsuit, eventually reaching an agreement to give each plaintiff between $ 100 and $ 150 depending on the model they bought.
For this reason, the OCU, together with the sister consumer organizations of Belgium (Test Achats), Brazil (Proteste), Italy (Altroconsumo) and Portugal (DECO) and through Euroconsumers claim that each affected user receives up to 150 euros for damages caused depending on the model that the users had.
Among the affected printers are dozens of models in the range OfficeJet, where the DeskJet or Envy were not affected by it. The complete list of models is as follows:
- HP OfficeJet 6800 Series
- HP OfficeJet 6812
- HP OfficeJet 6815
- HP OfficeJet 6820
- HP OfficeJet 6822
- HP OfficeJet 6825
- HP OfficeJet Pro 6200 Series
- HP OfficeJet Pro 6230
- HP OfficeJet Pro 6235
- HP OfficeJet Pro 6239
- HP OfficeJet Pro 6830
- HP OfficeJet Pro 6835
- HP OfficeJet Pro 251 dw
- HP OfficeJet Pro 276 dw
- HP OfficeJet Pro 8100 ePrinter
- HP OfficeJet Pro 8600 e-All-in-One
- HP OfficeJet Pro 8600 Plus e-All-in-One
- HP OfficeJet Pro 8600 Premium e-All-in-One
- HP OfficeJet Pro 8610 e-All-in-One
- HP OfficeJet Pro 8615 e-All-in-One
- HP OfficeJet Pro 8616 e-All-in-One
- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 e-All-in-One
- HP OfficeJet Pro 8625 e-All-in-One
- HP OfficeJet Pro 8630 e-All-in-One
- HP OfficeJet Pro 8640 e-All-in-One
- HP OfficeJet Pro 8660 e-All-in-One
- HP OfficeJet Pro X 450 Series
- HP OfficeJet Pro X 451 dn
- HP OfficeJet Pro X 451 dw
- HP OfficeJet Pro X 470 Series
- HP OfficeJet Pro X 476 dn
- HP OfficeJet Pro X 476 dw
- HP OfficeJet Pro X 551 dw
- HP OfficeJet Pro X 576 dw
As for the cartridges used by those models, we find the following:
- HP 934 and 935 XL
- HP 950 and 951 XL
- HP 970 and 971 XL